Before calling your local Las Vegas plumber, try to fix your garbage disposal by using these three methods.
1- Fix garbage disposal by resetting it
Most garbage disposals have a reset button on the bottom of it. If you notice a humming sound, it could be that it isn’t getting power. Sometimes pushing that button will be an easy and quick fix.
2- Fix garbage disposal by freeing-it
In the same area as the reset button, there is a small hexagon shaped hole (also known as the flywheel hole). You can use a ¼ inch hex-wrench to more the blades back and forth hence freeing it.
3- Fix garbage disposal by manually moving the blades
Some models of garbage disposals do not have a reset button or the hexagon hole at the bottom of the unit. You can try to stick a broom stick or thick rod into the garbage disposal through the sink drain and try to move the blades manually.
Tips for garbage disposal care:
- Use cold water instead of hot when grinding food to avoid clogs from melted fats
- Do not over stuff the garbage disposal
- Do not pour chemicals such as drain cleaner or bleach into the unit because it can cause deterioration
- Do not attempt to grind hard materials such as bones, seeds, glass, etc. It may damge the blades
- Never place your hands into a garbage disposal for any reason- use tongs or pliers to pull out anything lodged into the unit.
- If there is an odor coming from the garbage disposal, you may treat the issues by running warm water into the unit while grinding a lemon into it
If these methods to fix garbage disposal do not work out, then call our licensed Las Vegas plumber to assist you with the garbage disposal repair or replacement. We offer services 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year!